Following the success in Newcastle upon Tyne in 2016 and 10 other cities around the world, the Bigas Luna Tribute is returning to the UK in late March 2019. We have teamed up with HOME Manchester, ¡Viva! Spanish and Latin American Film Festival and the Instituto Cervantes Manchester for a very special celebration of Bigas Luna films and art. The Bigas Luna Tribute Manchester will include the ‘Iberian Portraits’ trilogy in full with introductory presentations by Bigas Luna specialists, a tapas and wine reception following the screening of Jamón, jamón (1992), the first UK screening of the posthumous documentary BigasxBigas (2017) – including a Q&A with its co-director Santiago Garrido Rúa – and the videoart exhibition ‘Barbaric Comedies‘, inspired by Valle-Inclán. It is a great honour to be part of this very special edition of ¡Viva! in its 25th anniversary, which coincides with the 25th anniversary of La teta y la luna and, fittingly, celebrates the esperpento.
Thursday 28 March – Instituto Cervantes Manchester(326-330 Deansgate Campfield, Avenue Arcade, Manchester M3 4FN).
- 6.30 PM: Opening of ‘Barbaric Comedies’ video art exhibition with an introduction by co-curator Prof Santiago Fouz Hernández (Durham) and wine reception sponsored by the Instituto CervantesManchester.
NB Exhibition will be open until April 12th Mon-Friday 10AM to 8PM. Free entry.
Viewer discretion is advised.
- 7PM: Screening BigasxBigas (2017) – with introduction and Q&A with co-director Santiago Garrido Rúa.
Friday 29 March – HOME Manchester (2, Tony Wilson Place, M15 4FN Manchester)
- 7.50 PM: Jamón, jamón (1992), starring Penélope Cruz, Javier Bardem and Jordi Mollà – with introduction by Prof Santiago Fouz Hernández (Durham University).
- Followed by tapas and wine reception (first drink is included with film ticket), sponsored by Durham University, ¡Viva! Festival and festival sponsors.
Saturday 30 March – HOME Manchester (2, Tony Wilson Place, M15 4FN Manchester)
- 5.50 PM: Huevos de oro / Golden Balls (1993), starring Javier Bardem, Maribel Verdú and Benicio del Toro- with introduction by Prof Santiago Fouz Hernández (Durham University).
Saturday 31 March – HOME Manchester (2, Tony Wilson Place, M15 4FN Manchester)
- 5.40 PM: La teta y la luna / The Tit and the Moon (1994), starring Mathilda May, Biel Durán and Miguel Poveda- with introduction by Dr Abigail Loxham (University of Liverpool).
- Followed by Q&A about the ‘Iberian Portraits’ trilogy with Dr Loxham and ProfFouz Hernández.
– Bigas Luna Tribute Manchester poster (pdf) (jpeg)
– ‘Barbaric Comedies’ exhibition poster (pdf) (jpeg)
– Bigas Luna Tribute Manchester postcard (front / back)
– Bigas Luna Tribute Manchester info leaflet (pdf)
– ¡Viva! Spanish and Latin American Festival brochure (coming soon)
– Instituto Cervantes Cultural events 2019 brochure (pdf).
– ‘Barbaric Comedies’ exhibition notes (English) (Español)
– Instituto Cervantes Manchester
– ‘Barbaric Comedies’ exhibition preview + BigasxBigas (2017) with intro + Q&A facebook event
– ‘Barbaric Comedies’ exhibition preview + BigasxBigas (2017) with intro + Q&A Eventbrite (free registration)
– HOME Manchester
– ¡Viva! Spanish and Latin American Festival
– Bigas Luna portrait by Betty Bigas (available by request firstname.lastname@example.org
Coming soon (see our MEDIA section for previous reviews and press coverage of the Bigas Luna Tribute so far).
Santiago Fouz Hernández and Santiago Garrido Rúa will be available for interviews at the Instituto Cervantes Manchester (326-330 Deansgate Campfield, Avenue Arcade, Manchester M3 4FN) on Thursday 28 March 2019 5-6PM. They and Betty Bigas are also available for telephone interviews prior to that date. For bookings please contact: email@example.com.